Gar back into top three as leading pair run up the goals

Rathgar returned to the top three in men’s Leinster Division One as the big guns had too much firepower in their respective games for the side at the other end of the table.

For Gar, they saw off Dublin University 4-2, taking the lead 30 seconds into the game through Mark Holland after he followed up an Andy Malcolm shot which had been saved on the line.

Trinity equalised after a well worked counter-attack at the end of the first quarter. Patrick Temperley’s initial reverse shot was well saved although he made no mistake on his second attempt from the rebound from a tight angle.

The High School-based side returned to the lead in the second quarter when Alan White beat two defenders and set up Davíd Meade for a deflection.

At the beginning of the second half, it was Trinity who struck early after picking up the ball from a Rathgar mistrap and equalised to make it 2-2 via Temperley.

But it was the hosts who finished stronger in the second half from a corner which White swept home for 3-2. While both sides pushed for a goal, it was Rathgar who increased their lead through Guy Prendergast to close off the match.

The result saw Gar move above Portrane into third place after the Fingal side was well-beaten 8-1 at home by Railway Union for whom Michael McKenzie netted four times. The game was all but done and dusted at half-time at 5-1.

Clontarf, meanwhile, ran up 11 against Weston with Kevin Mullins nettin four and Davyn Keuter returning to the side – having missed the Neville Cup final – to nail a hat trick with seven of their tally coming from corners.

Avoca beat Dublin North with plenty to spare, too, with Richard Couse scoring two corners and one from play in a 7-1 success, bringing his personal tally to 24 goals in the league. Adrian Sweeney got the sole reply with 17 minutes to go.

Kilkenny got their fourth win of the season thanks to a 5-2 win over Bray. Second quarter goals from Eddie Dore – a classy back hand – Emmett Hughes and a Howard McDonnell drag-flick propelled them in a 3-0 lead before Bray got one back via Cian Hussey from a very good counter-attack.

McDonnell added another for and Henry Huston netted a rebound for 5-1 before David Nuzum finished off the scoring with two minutes to go from a high turnover.

Railway Union’s Chris Reilly tackles Portrane’s Charl Best. Pic: Adrian Boehm

In the Irish Junior Cup, meanwhile, three Leinster sides advanced with Clontarf winning 3-2 against Railway Union with all the goals coming in the second half. Tarf led 2-0 and 3-1 before Railway fought back but saw two corners denied on the hooter, earning a semi-final against Lisnagarvey who were 5-2 winners over Bangor.

Corinthian edged out UCD in a shoot-out after a scoreless draw while reigning champions Three Rock also went through via that method when beating Pembroke.

Men’s Leinster Division 1: Avoca 7 (R Couse 3, E Goode, O O’Sullivan, K Mellott, C Funge) Dublin North 1 (A Sweeney); Bray 2 (C Hussey, D Nuzum) Kilkenny 5 (H McDonnell 2, E Dore, H Huston, E Hughes); Portrane 1 (I Khan) Railway Union 8 (M McKenzie 4, R Devlin, R Forrest, J McKeever, F Keaveney); Rathgar 4 (A White, M Holland, D Meade, G Prendergast) Dublin University 2 (P Temperley 2); Weston 0 Clontarf 11 (D Keuter 4, K Mullins 4, J Edmonds 2, G Borland)

Irish Junior Cup – quarter-finals: Clontarf 3 Railway Union 2; Lisnagarvey 5 (M Morris 2, S McCabe, M Aughey, M Milliken) Bangor 2; Pembroke Wanderers 1 Three Rock Rovers 1 (P Blakeney), TRR win shoot-out; UCD 0 Corinthian 0, Corinthian win shoot-out

Men's Leinster Senior Div 1