High School complete Junior boys double and eliminate Wesley and Andrew’s at senior level

High School claimed the Leinster schoolboys Junior Cup in drenched conditions at Grange Road with a 2-1 win over St Andrew’s to continue their rise as one of the top hockey academies.

Irish Under-18 trialist Harry Lynch won a corner which he drag-flicked home. St Andrew’s equalised – also from a penalty corner – via Ben Hickmott who initially drew a great save from Ben Whelan only for the striker to pick up the rebound on his backhand to shoot home.

Jo Murphy, however, restored the half-time lead when he slotted home from a ball centred in by Evan Jennings for 2-1 at half-time.

Ross Howard was central to holding the fort in the second half, throwing long aerials to relieve the pressure. Andrew’s held the ball well but could not convert chances and so the Rathgar outfit added the cup crown to the league won in January.

High School have a busy pre-Easter spell on the agenda as their senior team beat St Andrew’s in the league semi-final on Monday. They are in the Senior Trophy final where they will play Newpark while their Cup side will face Wesley in that semi-final on Friday.

It continues an incredible run of results for the Rathgar school. Indeed, the senior team beat both St Andrew’s and Wesley this week to reach the finals of the senior cup and league respectively.

Against Andrew’s in the league semi, they nabbed a 3-1 victory. Ali Empey created the first goal, slipping the ball across to Peter Lynch to tap in at the back post.

HSD kept up the intensity through the cool hands of Ross Howard and Alex Flynn. After 20 minutes, Empey powered into the D with a reverse shot for 2-0 at half-time.

Into the second half, the sides traded attacks and, 10 minutes in, Lynch’s reverse shot across the endline was turned in by Empey. Andrew Canning and James Coman were threatening down the flanks from right and left back.

Andrew’s, meanwhile, were unlucky not to find deflections as they created great space. It was end to end.
Andrew’s did get one back via a drag-flick into the bottom left from Greg Arrowsmith. Matteo Romoli and David Shanahan kept the tempo high, putting High School under pressure but the result was already out of reach.

On Friday, they followed up with a 4-1 victory in the cup semi-final against Wesley to reach next Wednesday’s final with Peter Lynch scoring twice, Harry Lynch one and Evan Jennings the other.

With the junior double in the bag and the Under-13 league title with a 3-0 win over Sutton Park, High School are in line for a glut of trophies this year. They are still to contest the Senior Trophy, Cup and League finals.

St Andrew’s, meanwhile, won the Under-13 cup final with a 2-0 victory over King’s Hospital.

At minor level, St Kilian’s will contest their first ever cup final at any level following a 3-0 win over Mount Temple.

They got off to a storming start with Ben McTiernan going straight for the circle from the tip-off and had a shot saved. Cian Griffiths was on the rebound and swept home to put us 1-0 up after 80 seconds.

St Kilian’s minor boys

After 18 minutes and lots of pressure, McTiernan won the ball from a hit out and won a long corner. Michael Brennan smashed the ball home from the subsequent move for a 2-0 half-time lead.

Hugh Harnett deflected a Cian Walley ball into the circle into the roof of the net for a classy finish, adding to earlier wins over East Glendalough and St Columba’s.

Wednesday’s results
Boys Junior Cup final: High School 2 (H Lynch, J Murphy) St Andrew’s 1 (B Hickmott)
Boys Under-13 Cup final: St Andrew’s 2 King’s Hospital 0

Partners of The Hook