Glens stun Garvey as Town move top of men’s EYHL

Men’s EY Hockey League – day seven extended reports
Banbridge vs Cork C of I – postponed due to frost

Glenanne 3 (S O’Donoghue, R Rixon-Fuller, G Shaw) Lisnagarvey 1 (N Glassey)
Glenanne stunned Lisnagarvey to record their first win of the men’s EY Hockey League campaign, beating the reigning champions 3-1 in Tallaght.

After an early barrage was repelled by home goalkeeper Leo Micklem, Glenanne got the bearings and played with more patience and composure to ensure that the first half ended scoreless. And, as time wore on, the home side’s midfield trio of Shane O’Donoghue, Neil Byrne and Gary Shaw began to give them the upper hand and they took the lead from a set piece as O’Donoghue’s drag-flick, despite a touch from a Garvey defender on the line, broke the deadlock.

Gary Shaw's late goal clinched all three points for Glenanne. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Gary Shaw’s late goal clinched all three points for Glenanne. Pic: Adrian Boehm

The Comber Road side fought back with a number of corners of their own but Micklem stood tall and Glenanne counter-punched in the fourth quarter. Rowland Rixon-Fuller gave the hosts breathing room with a backhand finish.

Garvey got one back through Neal Glassy with nine minutes to go and pressed for an equaliser, especially when Glenanne were reduced to 10 men. But, with three minutes to go, Sam O’Connor broke down the left and slipped a ball to the back post for Gary Shaw to make a sliding conversion and 3-1.

Instonians 3 (M McCord 2, W Robinson) Railway Union 4 (M English 3, P Catchpole)
Mark English’s hat-trick saw Railway Union garner a vital win over Instonians to make a significant leap forward, moving up to six points and five clear of bottom side Instonians.The game was in doubt due to heavy fog at Shawsbridge but the game did start on time but the conditions were not easy for either the players or the umpires. It was great to see Alan Patterson who suffered very severe spinal injuries during the summer at the game.

After a scoreless first quarter, the game caught fire in the second period. In the 20th minute, William Robinson converted Instonians first penalty corner with a strong second phase shot after the returning Stephen O’Keeffe had saved his first attempt.Instonians held the lead until the 29th minute when a defensive mistake cost them dearly. Railway took the ball from an Inst defender and, in a three-man move, Peter Catchpole scored at the far post.

A 1-1 tie at half time moved to 2-2 by the end of the third quarter as Mark English’s reverse-stick shot put Railway in front for the first time. Inst came back strong and won a stroke in the 49th minute but Robinson saw his effort denied by O’Keeffe. They were level, however, when they were again awarded a stroke which Matthew McCord, this time, scored from for 2-2.

Mark English's hat trick inspired Railway's first win since September. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Mark English’s hat trick inspired Railway’s first win since September. Pic: Adrian Boehm

English restored Railway’s advantage when he scored with a lob from the bye-line; an excellent goal and a shot which seemed to take Sam Brown by surprise.The game was becoming indisciplined with the umpires issuing both green and yellow cards to both sides. Railway killed off the tie when a long up field ball found English unmarked and he beat Brown to build a two goal cushion.On 69 minutes, Inst came back again when McCord scored from open play but Railway held on for the points.

Three Rock Rovers 2 (K Mullins, M Darling) Pembroke 2 (K Shimmins, A Sothern)
Three Rock Rovers and Pembroke shared the spoils from a high octane battle at Grange Road with Mitch Darling’s deflected strike with eight minutes tying things up.

Pembroke hit the front at the end tail-end of the first quarter with a brilliant Kirk Shimmins sweep shot from a narrow angle on the right of the circle, gobbling up a loose clearance from an initial attack. It was slightly against the run of play but Shimmins was a crucial player for Pembroke all through the game with his driving runs, dove-tailing with Keith O’Hare and Harry Spain’s monster overhead passes.

Rovers had a goal disallowed from Ben Walker’s trickery in the second quarter after an umpire’s consultation but were level when Darling thumped a shot into Mark Ingram’s chest and Kevin Mullins picked up the pieces to level the game.
Alan Sothern, however, restored the Pembroke lead with the last play of the first half with an excellent corner goal, spinning at the top and then reversing home from the top of the circle.

The second half flowed end to end but Rovers upped the ante when Pembroke suffered a series of cards, Maurice Elliott clocking up 15 minutes in the bin for two yellow cards. Pembroke had got their second, though, during his first suspension.

Jody Hosking clipped the post with a swift run and shot while Ben Walker flicked into the side-netting from another. The leveller came when David Kane’s long ball was taken in by Darling who got away from the otherwise immaculate Spain and his reverse-stick shot took a wicked deflection into the goal.
The hosts almost won it, too, with a last minute corner that was turned in but only after a foot in the circle by Rovers, leaving the spoils shared.

Mitch Darling's deflected effort earned Three Rock a 2-2 draw against Pembroke. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Mitch Darling’s deflected effort earned Three Rock a 2-2 draw against Pembroke. Pic: Adrian Boehm

UCD 1 (J Henry) Monkstown 3 (D Carson 2, L Cole)
Monkstown moved top of the table thanks to a 3-1 win over UCD at Belfield, leap-frogging Banbridge and Cork C of I whose tie was called off on Friday evening due to frost.

Town had the guts of the early chances but got fell behind when former player Jazze Henry ran into the D and reversed home a shot into the bottom corner, a classy opener. Monkstown bounced back instantly, Lee Cole scoring a drag from their second penalty corner.

Karl Lynch hit the post soon after before Monkstown moved in front for the first time in the second quarter. Nick Dee and Stephen Cole combined to dispossess Ben Campbell who slipped the ball to Davy Carson to score. Carson then bundled in a Kyle Good ball across goal for a 3-1 half-time advantage.

The second half remained end to end with corners at each end brilliantly charged down but no further goals meant Town were good value for a fifth win from seven outings.

Partners of The Hook