Andrew’s annex third senior title; schoolboy’s round-up

Leinster Schoolboys Senior League final
St Andrews 2 (Rob Browne, Rory Nichols) Wesley 1 (Stu Ronan), after silver goal extra time

St Andrew’s claimed their third senior title of the 2014/15 schoolboys season as they shaded the league final at Whitechurch Park on Wednesday, beating Wesley 2-1 in silver goal extra time.

They add the title to the All-Ireland schoolboys championships and the Whiteside Trophy that they have already won this season.

In a game preceded by a minute’s silence in honour of Niall Roche, it was a very tight, physical affair with few chances either way with much of the game being played between the two 25s. The best chance in the opening 15 minutes fell to David Nolan who drew a brilliant save out of Leo Micklem to keep the scores tied.

The St Andrew's senior A league winning side

The St Andrew’s senior A league winning side

Wesley replied, forcing a corner that was charged down by Patrick Temperley. On 20 minutes a brilliant ball, from Geoff Cole picked out Nolan in the top corner. His delivery in the D was met by a first time finish from Rob Browne for the opening goal

Wesley’s response was immediate with Daragh Walsh finding space down the left flank and delivering a reverse hit cross into the circle that was brilliantly turned home by the unmarked Stuart Ronan with a cheeky flick under his shoulder with his back to goal.

Nolan departed the game for Andrew’s soon after with a broken arm and was soon joined on the sidelines by Patrick Temperley who rolled his ankle, seriously diminishing the Andrew’s options.

The second half was a tense affair with very little in the way of chances. Ben McCrea and Ziggy Agnew kept things tight for both sides forcing the game into extra time.

In the first period of over time, a brilliant surge by Andrew Fogarty forced Andrew’s first corner of the game which was duly dispatched by Rory Nichols to seal a hard fought 2-1.

High School, meanwhile, qualifed for next year’s All-Ireland Schoolboys championships when they beat Sutton Park 7-6 on penalty strokes in their playoff game on Wednesday.

Normal time had ended 2-2 between the sides in what was ostensibly a third place playoff in the league after the sides had finished second in their respective groups.

In the Minor decider, Newpark hit the front within the first five minutes. Andrew’s struggled to get a firm footing in the game and went into the break one down. In the second half Scott Thompson found the net for Andrew’s and forced the game into overtime.

An outstanding defensively display from Newpark brought the game to strokes with Roan Kennedy, the Andrew’s keeper, saving four of the five strokes to seal the win.

At Under-13 level, High School’s bid for a league and double saw them defeat St Andrew’s 2-0 in their quarter-final this week but they came unstuck in the semi-final against Wesley on Friday afternoon.

Leinster Schoolboys Senior A League final: St Andrew’s 2 (Rob Browne, Rory Nichols) Wesley 1 (Stu Ronan), after silver goal extra time
Senior B final: St Columba’s 3 Sandford Park 1

All-Ireland Schoolboys playoff: High School 2 Sutton Park 2, High School win 7-6 on penalties
Junior Cup: Wesley College 7 Mount Temple 4
Minor League final: St Andrew’s 1 Newpark 1, St Andrew’s won on penalties
Under-13 Cup, quarter-final: High School 2 St Andrew’s 0; St Columba’s 7 King’s Hospital 2

Partners of The Hook