Odd goal in three does for Glens and Railway

Men’s Leinster Division One
A pair of 2-1 wins served to bolster Railway Union and Glenanne’s IHL hopes, putting a major dent in YMCA’s chances while Corinthian now look to be all but out of the mix.

The Glens had to soak up huge amounts of pressure on home turf against the Y, especially in the second half, before Richie Shaw scored a crucial goal for a second week running.

YMCA's Jaco Fourie holds off the attentions of Glenanne's Stephen Brownlow Pic: Adrian Boehm

YMCA’s Jaco Fourie holds off the attentions of Glenanne’s Stephen Brownlow Pic: Adrian Boehm

Eddie O’Malley put the Glens in front when he intercepted, exchanged passes with Enda Tucker before O’Malley picked up a rebound for 1-0. They just about held that lead until the break but were YM were back on terms when their top scorer Jamie Tobin grabbed his 11th of the season with a sweetly taken reverse.

But Shaw won it when Rowland Rixon-Fuller picked him out and he coolly rolled home for the killer goal. It keeps Glenanne in a share of third place while YM drop back to four points off the automatic IHL places.

Railway moved back into fifth place with their 2-1 win over Corinthian with Mark English claiming the winner inside the last five minutes of the tie.

The first half was even enough but saw Phil Baron’s goal separate the teams when he slid home from Fergal Keaveney’s through ball while Corinthian hit the post from a neat dink over Simon Thornton.

The second half opened up more and Gordon Elliott fired home a backhand shot after capitalising from a defensive error with eight minutes left. Both teams struggled from their corners on the day with plenty going a begging which could have changed things.

Railway, though, won it when Donal O’Mearain played in English who shot, despite a very narrow angle and it in the far corner with Rob Abbott on hand to make sure if necessary.

At the top it is pretty much as you were. Monkstown cruised to a 6-2 win over UCD which could have been more but for an excellent performance from Conor Quinn.

The sky-blues built a 4-1 lead inside 25 minutes with Gareth Watkins banging a hat trick with Andrew Ward also picking out the top corner. Jeremy Duncan got one back – making a strong impact since his return from six weeks in Australia.

Richard Sykes and Davy Carson stretched the lead to 6-1 before Duncan got his second of the day. Monkstown lead by four points with five games to play.

Pembroke did all the damage in the first half against Rathgar, scoring four times without reply to pick up a 4-1 and maintain their second place in the table.

Nick Burns scored on his return to the first team after suspension while Ronan Flannery, Harry Spain and Cillian Hynes were all on the mark for a 4-0 half-time lead. Mark Collins got one back for the Chiefs in the second half ahead of a busy week, playing their refix against UCD on Tuesday evening before playing Glenanne on Thursday on a game brought forward.

Peter Blakeney missed an early penalty stroke but still managed to net five times for Three Rock Rovers against Avoca en route to a 6-2 win at Newpark to celebrate his 30th birthday in style.

Results: Pembroke 4 (R Flannery, H Spain, C Hynes, N Burns) Rathgar 1 (M Collins); Corinthian 1 (G Elliott) Railway Union 2 (M English, P Barron); UCD 2 (J Duncan 2) Monkstown 6 (G Watkins 3, A Ward, D Carson, R Sykes); Glenanne 2 (E O’Malley, R Shaw) YMCA 1 (J Tobin); Avoca 2 (Z Agnew, R Couse) Three Rock Rovers 6 (P Blakeney 5, J Hosking)

Men's Leinster Senior Div 1