Andrew’s retain Leinster U-13 Cup

U-13 Leinster Schoolboy’s Cup final: Wesley College 1 (D Walsh) St Andrew’s College 4 (R Quirke 2, J Carson, J Larmour)
A Jordan Larmour-inspired St Andrew’s were deserved 4-1 winners of the U-13 schoolboy’s title as their three-goal first half blitz powered them to glory.

Ross Quirke netted twice and Jamie Carson once before half-time before Larmour got the conclusive goal in the second period after Darragh Walsh had given Wesley a lifeline.

In so doing, they became the first school to retain the U-13 Cup in nine years – a competition which has been the most competitive in the past decade with five different winners.

Larmour, though, played a hand in all four goals and was a huge presence around the park as Andrew’s had the cutting edge this time round.

A turnover at right midfield created the first in the 14th minute as Larmour’s crash into the D was controlled by Ross Quirke who turned and slotted into the corner.

It was end-to-end at this stage and Daniel Gilmore flashed a great half-volley inches by the post. The better chances were falling the Booterstown school’s way, however, and when Larmour dribbled past two defenders and shot, the rebound off Luke Campion fell invitingly for Jamie Carson to mop up the second.

And another followed in the 24th minute with the goal of the game. Larmour and Carson worked an unselfish three-on-two to eliminate the last two defenders and offer on a plate Quirke’s second of the game.

Tim Hill’s impassioned half-time speech, though, worked wonders for Wesley who played the second half with more of a smile on their face as they drew more joy from their performance.

The delightful skills of Walsh in midfield were rewarded with his side’s first corner while he scored a solo-goal in the 38th minute which took the breath away – reminiscent of Gareth Watkins a night earlier in men’s division one for Monkstown – as he cut in from the right and put away a reverse-stick shot.

And Wesley almost were right back in the mix when they found the net in the 47th minute. It was rightly disallowed, though. Mark Samuel’s shot ballooned up and would not drop soon enough for Ben Whitehead who batted down from over shoulder-height.

Andrew’s had one chalked off a moment later as Carson’s final touch came from just outside the circle. But his side made the game safe in apt fashion when Larmour went all the way down the left baseline, pulled back to the flick spot and popped into the goal.

A last-second corner briefly delayed the pitch invasion from the Andrew’s crowd but its completion sparked deserved celebrations for a fine performance from the young guns.

St Andrew’s College: M Maguire, C Shoebridge, R Nicoll, D Rabbett, P Temperley, S Maguire, R Browne, J Walker, J Keenan, J Larmour, R Quirke, J Morrison, J Carson, C Marshall, O Maltby, T Smyth
Wesley College: L Campion, K Douglas, R Gallagher, A Hopkin, B Whitehead, J Bradley, R Shirley, M Samuel, D Walsh, D Gilmore, M Chooi, E Wolfe, A Jones, S Boyd, S O’Callaghan

Partners of The Hook