Irish men’s coach Paul Revington tells The Hook that he faces a major logistical headache but that the moves to Europe of many of Ireland’s top internationals can help open doors for the next generation.
Former Pembroke, Corinthian and UCD man John McInroy has been keeping himself busy since completing his coaching duties with the students at the end of last term, joining up with the Stick for India crew in Anantapur.
ASSA links up with Gilmour Sports to collect sports gear for Africa; The Hook does social networking on Facebook and Twitter; Watch all of the Women’s World Cup from Rosario online
The FIH have announced seven changes to the Rules of Hockey for international competition which will come into effect on January 1, 2011. These are the following changes which will be amended: – Rule 9.15: “players must not force an opponent into offending unintentionally”. This rule will be deleted. – Rule 13.1: the location of a […]
The Hook welcomes you to the expanded version of the blog, a new online home for Leinster hockey which will endeavour to keep the spirit of the blog, carrying all the latest Leinster hockey news, reports and photos.
Irish hockey’s top photographers have joined forces to launch a new one-stop shop – http://irishhockeyphotographers.zenfolio.com – for players, parents and fans to purchase top-class pictures. The Irish Hockey Photographers collective was founded in 2008 in association with Ireland’s dedicated hockey news websites, The Hook and Southern Fried. The team of amateur snappers has grown to […]
The IHA confirmed today that from October 2010, the majority of the Irish senior women’s team will commit to a ‘Central Preparation Programme’ (CPP) located in Dublin, for a period of ten months. The programme is designed, according to an IHA press release, to “facilitate a core, intensive preparation program targeting those athletes in contention […]
Fortune favours the laid-back. Or perhaps it just favours the talented as Eimear Cregan stands on the cusp of setting the new mark for Irish women’s international caps this weekend when she captains the side in the Four-Nations event in Essen, Germany. Should the 28-year-old play two of Ireland’s three games this weekend against Australia, […]
Suffering from hockey withdrawal symptoms? Bloemendaal began the Dutch national championships last weekend, getting the better of HGC 2-1 in the first match of the three game grand final. Here’s edited highlights of the game. * If you have seen any other good Youtube/Vimeo clips in recent times, especially ones from the Irish season gone […]
* There was a special moment last Saturday as Railway Union legend Brendan Smyth lined out to play for the first time in his sixth decade of adult league hockey in Leinster, drawing a guard of honour from both UCD III and his own fifth eleven. Smyth made his senior debut back in the 1960s […]
The Query: If while attempting to hit the ball an attacking player misses but the act of attempting to hit causes a defending player to check his/her stride because of the flailing stick, can there be an argument that the defending player has been disadvantaged and could be awarded a free hit? The usual response […]
Two questions this week for Olympic and World Cup final umpire Ray O’Connor to dig his teeth into: Query 1: Can we get some clarification on the five yards on the auto pass rule from Ray? I was at a game on Saturday where a team were constantly being penalised for not being five yards away […]
* Three Rock Ladies Alison Keogh has been named as one of eight young umpire’s to be included on the European Hockey Federation’s Umpire Development Programme for 2010 to 2012. She will be mentored by England’s international whistle-blower Margaret Hunnaball who will oversee her progress along with three other umpires from Italy, Slovenia and Cyprus. […]
At its meeting in November 2009, the FIH’s Hockey Rules Board took the decision to amend the interpretation of Rule 13.2.h – the rule relating to the procedures for taking a free-hits. The rule itself is unchanged but the following interpretation has been added: “It is permitted to play the ball high above the attacking circle […]
The Query: “When pressing a defender who then chooses to flick the ball clear, when is it considered dangerous enough to be a free in?” Ray’s response: This is a excellent question: If you don’t mind, I will be a little bit like a politician and not answer the question the way it was asked. […]
Ask Ray is back for a second season and will appear as regularly on a Wednesday as queries come in. This week the Olympic and World Cup final umpire deals with multiple yellow card offences: The Query If a player receives a yellow card for a specific infringement, do all other players who subsequently make […]
* The Leinster Hockey Umpires Association launched their Umpire Academy (LHUA UDP) last week at Grange Road with nine young umpires (male and female) committed to improving their knowledge, pitch presence and umpiring capabilities. They will work in three groups, each of which has an experienced mentor who wil continue with training sessions throughout the […]
* Suttonians, due to a large increase in the club’s ladies membership, are currently looking for an assistant coach for the ladies section for the 2009/10 season. The right candidate would need to be available for training on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and for matches on Saturdays. A suitable package and support is available. All enquires to […]
With the Leinster Hockey Umpires Association introducing a number of initiatives to promote that aspect of the sport, the revitalisation of the organisation is well underway. Over 100 people turned out to Ray O’Connor and Geoff Conn’s preseason briefing on the new rules and ten people have already signed up to the Umpires Development Programme […]
* The agenda of the Leinster Branch’s September General Meeting, to be held on September 30 at 7.30pm in Three Rock Rovers Hockey Club Grange Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16, will be as follows: • Minutes of previous General Meeting• Matters arising from minutes of previous General Meeting• Report of the Honorary Treasurer• Presentation and adoption […]