EGS make school history as Dundalk and Kilian’s also succeed

East Glendalough’s minor team picked up the school’s first ever boys hockey trophy in the school’s history against a strong Sandford Park team in the C league final in Ranelagh.

In a tight game, the pace of Scott Fitzpatrick on the left wing was the ultimate difference between the sides as he scored two and set up the winner, attacking the space behind the defence each time.

Sandford were well organised and moved the ball well in attack but determined defence from Robert Cherry in particular kept them at bay.

Their scoring opportunities mainly came from penalty corners which showed how dangerous they could be if given space in the circle.

The momentum of the game swung from one minute to the next and the result was never certain.

In the end, the Wicklow side held on for the win though several of the team got to experience cup final defeat soon after as they were part of the Junior C league squad that lost to Dundalk the following day.

Dundalk took the lead on two occasions only to be pegged back twice. With the game level at 2-2, Dundalk pushed forward in search of the win, scoring twice in 10 minutes to secure a hard fought victory.

The scorers on the day were Frank Yu, Oliver Bellew while there was special mention for Spanish centre forward Marc Rodriguez who scored twice and has been banging goals in, all season.

At Under-13 C league level, Sandford Park won out.

St Kilian’s, meanwhile, won a B league title for the third successive year with their current crop of players adding a Junior title to Minor and Under-13 B trophies in the past two seasons.

The Clonskeagh school took the laurels ahead of Sutton Park in a shoot-out following a cracking 2-2 draw in normal time of the final.

From the start, both sides set out in a positive attacking frame of mind with goalkeepers and back fours engaged early on, leading to lots of goalmouth excitement.

After 12 minutes, Kilian’s made the breakthrough when Ben McTiernan broke through and smashed home from the right side of the. Back came Sutton Park who scored after 18 minutes to level the game at 1-1.

From the start of the second half, Sutton poured forward, winning a couple of penalty corners but could not convert. Crucially, McTiernan raced out to charge one down, won the ball and raced down the pitch and played a delicious pass to Tristan Molphy.

He drew the keeper and slipped the ball to Jake Dempsey who slotted home to put St. Kilian’s 2-1 up with just 12 minutes to go. Sutton, however, levelled with five minutes to go to send the game to a shoot-out.

There, Daniel Sheeran became the hero, saving in the first round while Robin Macarulay did brilliantly to ride a robust tackle to sweep home on his reverse whilst falling.

Sutton equalised before Jake Nourse put them 2-1 ahead in the fourth round before Sheeran saved for a fourth time to land the title for Kilian’s.

Partners of The Hook