McCormack sends Glens clear as YM make big move

Men’s EY Hockey League
YMCA 2 (G Glutz, R Henderson) Cork C of I 1 (J Jermyn)
YMCA recorded a crucial victory in the survival race as they moved out of the bottom two with a battling win over Cork C of I at a wet and wild Wesley College.

With the weather making life difficult, penalty corners were proving the most effective method of attack in the first half. Grant Glutz gave the Y via a straight drag-flick after Andrew Jones won a corner in the first quarter. He arrowed another at the same target but it was saved off the line before CI fought back and were level when John Jermyn scored his sixth goal in seven days.

YMCA’s Grant Glutz. Pic: Sinead Hingston

YM returned to the lead in the third quarter when Glutz played through to Ross Henderson in lots of space and he calmly finished to make it 2-1.

From there, C of I had five more corner chances but could not find the radar and the hosts held on for their second win of the season, lifting them to eight points.

Banbridge 1 (E Magee) Lisnagarvey 2 (A Williamson, J Lorimer)
First half goals from Andy Williamson and James Lorimer saw Lisnagarvey score a vital victory in the title race as they moved level on points with Banbridge. Both are three points back from Glenanne but have a game in hand, making for an exciting seven rounds ahead in the league.

Williamson broke the deadlock 22 minutes in before Lorimer added the second from a corner with half-time approaching. Bann got one back with just over a minute to go from Eugene Magee’s corner shot but the points were going up the road to Hillsborough.

The hosts had started the game well with the majority of the ball but Williamson’s goal came following a quick counter-attack. Lorimer then slotted a low drag-flick.

Again, Bann came forward in the second half and put Garvey under more pressure but Garvey made some crucial tackles in the final phases while James Milliken made a key triple save, keeping them out of range despite the late Magee goal.

Glenanne 4 (G Shaw, S Boucher, J McCormack) Cookstown 3 (M Kerr, D Crooks, P Thompson)
Jonny McCormack’s last minute winner saw Glenanne squeak out a 4-3 win over Cookstown to return to the head of the table on their own, eventually seeing off the Co Tyrone side.

Michael Kerr’s drag following a spin move beat Iain Walker to put the visitors 1-0 up after David Keogh had missed an early penalty stroke for the Glens. Glenanne then set about swapping the lead with a couple of corner goals, the first a Stephen Brownlow slip to Gary Shaw for 1-1 and then Shannon Boucher dragged in for 2-1.

Cookstown tied the game for the second time from a corner rebound from Daniel Crooks after a flurry of chances, 2-2 at half-time.

Glenanne’s Jonny McCormack. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Richard Couse claimed the Glens third via a defensive stick but Cookstown kept coming back when Paul Thompson slapped home from a baseline pull-back.

But the Glens had the final say in the dying moments when Joe Brennan slapped across from the right flank for McCormack to tap in at the back post.

Three Rock Rovers 5 (L Madeley 2, B Walker, M English, H MacMahon) Monkstown 2 (G Sarratt, R Quirke)
A trio of fourth quarter goals saw Three Rock Rovers race away from Monkstown after a previously close fought contest as Grange Road as the hosts made Town pay for a couple of cards.

Defenders Luke Madeley and Harry MacMahon both scored from play to put Rovers into a 2-0 lead. The former strode out from the back and, after some initial skill, the pitch opened up for him and he ran 60 metres – regularly looking to offload – with the ball before pinging home by Gordon Clarke, deputising for the injured David Fitzgerald. MacMahon’s was the polar opposite, netting a rare goal from close range.

Guy Sarratt got one back 90 seconds before half-time from a corner and he was unlucky to see a reverse well saved by Jamie Carr to tie it up. But space started to become more available for Rovers as time wore on and they drew a number of good saves before going 3-1 up from a Madeley corner in the fourth quarter.

Town soon went down to nine and were punished when Kevin Mullins set up Ben Walker to flick in at close quarters. Harry Morris and Mark English were then left all alone in the 23 with just Clarke to eliminate, the latter doing the final honours.

Annadale 1 (A O’Hare) Pembroke 2 (G Chambers, A Shekleton)
Pembroke ended their mini-slide after back-to-back defeats to strengthen their place in the top four of the men’s EYHL. They went in front following a very well constructed move from a free on the right edge of the circle, working the ball back through both centre-backs and then to the left wing where a powerful cross was turned in by Greg Chambers.

It was 2-0 when Andreu Gomez Costa pumped in a sideline ball from the left which ricocheted into the path of Andrew Shekleton who slotted home with eight minutes to go.

Annadale got one back when Callum Robson nicked the ball on the 23 from a defensive slip. He rolled the ball right to Andrew O’Hare to calmly finish in the last minute but the points were gone at that stage.

Sunday: Three Rock Rovers 4 (H Morris, L Madeley, B Walker, J Hosking) Cork C of I 0
Three Rock Rovers made it a six-point weekend as they beat Cork C of I 4-0 at Grange Road as C of I struggled in the absence of John Jermyn, Jonny Bruton and Alex Burns.

Harry Morris opened the scoring in the first five minutes from a penalty corner rebound before Ben Walker got the second in the second quarter, controlling at the back post before popping home after good work down the left.

Luke Madeley’s drag-flick extended the advantage to 3-0 at half-time. The volume of rain meant it was slow-going in the second half but the game was capped by an excellent Jody Hosking ghost-left and rocket reverse into the top of the goal with seven minutes to go.

Partners of The Hook