C of I end 16-month wait for EYHL victory as Garvey remain team to catch

Men’s EY Hockey League – week 15 round-up
Cookstown 2 (C Anderson, M Crooks) Cork C of I 3 (J Jermyn, S Parker, T Chalumeau)

Cork C of I scored their first EYHL win since November 2017 as they held on for a big 3-2 win over Cookstown at Steelweld Park, giving their hopes of a potential great escape a massive boost.

They built a 3-0 lead and while Cookstown fought back, they could not find a finishing touch for what would have been a vital point for them. The Cork side had won here a couple of weeks ago in the Irish Senior Cup and they took that confidence into this tie, controlling a lot of possession, going close through Simon Wolfe and then ahead through a trademark John Jermyn flick from the short corner set piece.

The Tyrone club improved in the second quarter but Cork were creating the better chances, Jonny Bruton going close and Philip Brownlow forcing a great double save out of Josh McCabe in the home goal.

They went two up when a hopeful Bruton reverse hit into the circle was deflected home at the back post by the unmarked Stephen Parker for 2-0. Minutes later Cork made it 3-0 through Thomas Chalumeau. He picked up the ball with his back to goal but rolled his marker and fired home with an excellent finish.

Cookstown started to close the gap when Callum Anderson cleaned up a corner rebound. Minutes later Mark Crooks made it 3-2. The excellent Matty Rollins found the winger in the circle and Crooks made no mistake on the reverse. Crooks and Greg Allen went close but two yellow cards in the closing stages stalled their momentum in the final quarter.

Monkstown 0 Lisnagarvey 2 (A Williamson, J Lorimer)
Lisnagarvey remain the team to catch as a goal late in each half saw them record a tough 2-0 victory away from home. Jason Lynch made some key defensive interventions in the first four minutes as Garvey started well with shots from James Lorimer and Andy Williamson going lcose before Geoff Cole tested James Milliken from an awkward angle.

Ollie Kidd’s rebound was cleared off the line by David Cole to end the first quarter, a feat matched by Guy Sarratt in the second quarter. Indeed, there was a barrage of corner chances from Garvey before the opening goal came in the 31st minute. Kidd beat a number of defenders before laying up for Andy Williamson to finish.

It remained that way for the third quarter with Keith Kenning clearing off the lin while David Fitzgerald did well from a couple of corners. Monkstown had a lot of pressure in the last quarter with Aran Rooney winning a corner shot for Guy Sarratt but it was charged down.

They went to a kicking back with five minutes to go but the plot backfired as Garvey won a corner which Lorimer dragged in for 2-0 with two minutes to go.

Glenanne 2 (C Jakobi 2) YMCA 1 (S Hyland)
Glenanne got back to winning ways after one point from their last nine as two Cedric Jakobi goals got them by the challenge of YMCA at St Andrew’s.

Mark English celebrates making it 3-0 to TRR against Pembroke. Pic: Adrian Boehm

For long periods, the Glens were left frustrated as they won numerous penalty corners and a stroke but could not convert, Stephen Brownlow shooting wide from the spot, a similar fate to many of their corners. Brad Venter had one disallowed for backstick, too.

They went in front from their sixth penalty corner of the tie with a classy switch-flick in the 40th minute for 1-0. Another couple of set pieces came and went before Sam Hyland was sent to the bin for a stick tackle and Jakobi found the net once more.

YM were reduced to nine when Will Powderly followed Hyland on a yellow but they rode out that tricky spell and got back in the game from the penalty spot via Hyland. It came from Thom Ritchie racing onto a long overhead and his switch to Ben Campbell was stopped in its tracks by a chop.

Ritchie missed out from a golden chance to make it 2-2, deflecting over the top while a last minute corner from Grant Glutz was tipped away by former YM man Iain Walker between the posts.

Three Rock Rovers 8 (L Madeley 2, A Empey 2, M English, D Walsh, H Morris, J Mullins) Pembroke Wanderers 1 (H Spain)
Three Rock Rovers eased to an impressive win over to put seven points between them and fifth placed Pembroke – without the services of Keith O’Hare – in the chase for the EY Champions Trophy places.

Harry Morris had them one up inside the first five minutes as Rovers made most of the play from the outste but they were initially frustrated in their pursuit of a second. It arrived in the 25th minute when Luke Madeley slipped past the first runner and pushed by the impressive Simon Thornton.

Mark English added a third soon after from a Daragh Walsh turnover, feeding Ross Canning whose cross from the left was guided home from close range. Madeley scored another corner and Ali Empey made it 5-0 at half-time after another swift attack down the baseline.

John Mullins – on his return from injury – from a pitch length move with Jack McAllister cracking the ball into the circle with the deflection going into the roof of the net. Daragh Walsh slammed in the next for 7-0 at three quarter time.

Empey finished off from Canning’s cross before Pembroke got a consolation via Harry Spain’s corner second phase, his shot just about beating Irish Under-16 goalkeeper Ben Whelan’s attempt to stop.

Banbridge 8 (J Moffett 2, J McKee 2, E Magee 2, A Tinney, Z McClelland) Annadale 0
Four first half penalty corner goals saw Banbridge blow away Annadale and keep up their pursuit of leaders Lisnagarvey. Eugene Magee continued his hot streak from corners to start the scoring in the sixth minute and they added three more goals before half-time with Tinney making it 2-0 in the 22nd minute.

That kickstarted a run of three goals in four minutes with Magee’s second and Jonny McKee’s first making it 4-0 at half-time.

Bann’s rhythm was disrupted by three yellow cards in a ten-minute spell either side of the break with Eddie Rowe, Josh Moffett and Peter Brown all sitting out a spell.

But they finished in rousing fashion with four goals in the last 11 minutes. Josh Moffett finished off after a spectacular run from Jamie Wright and McKee added another from David Rae’s instigation. Moffett makde it 7-0 and Zach McClelland completed the scoring in the 69th minute.

Partners of The Hook