Kilkeel fly the regional flag as they knock out YM

Men’s Irish Senior Cup – round three round-up
Kilkeel will be the one regional league side in the men’s Irish Senior Cup draw as they knocked out YMCA with a 2-1 success at Macauley Park.

Cork C of I survived against Leinster league high-flyers UCD, albeit after a customary draw in normal time. The Garryduff side had the better of the first half but saw a number of corners charged down.

UCD, meanwhile, went in front from a stroke in the second half from a David Nolan penalty stroke. Jonny Bruton, though, equalised with a powerful reverse for 1-1 and despite chances for both sides from corners, it remained that way.

It was level 4-4 after the regulation series of shoot-outs before a back-stick decision saw UCD denied in round six and John Jermyn stepped up to score the winner.

Corinthian bowed out at the hands of Banbridge for the second time in three seasons. Trevor Dagg’s side went one down in the first half to a deflected corner.

Another Bann corner made it 2-0 before Davy Howard’s set piece made things interesting with 10 minutes to go. But a defensive effort from the reds was capitalised on by the Co Down side who nicked in for 3-1, Jonny McKee scoring twice and Josh Moffett getting the other.

Three Rock Rovers started their title defence with a 3-1 win over Annadale. After a scoreless first half, the Grange Road side clicked into gear in the second, Harry Morris scoring twice either side of a Mark English effort for a 3-0 lead before Rory Capper got one back.

Elsewhere, some of the regional sides found the going tough against EY Hockey League opposition.

Pembroke found few problems from Clontarf as they won 7-0 against their Leinster Division One side with Cian Murphy scoring twice.

Similarly, Lisnagarvey went one better with an 8-0 success against Kilkenny with Daniel Nelson and Oliver Kidd getting a brace each.

Cookstown progressed with a 5-0 win over Belfast Harlequins. Callum Anderson set the ball rolling with a sweet finish from Keith Black’s assist, Stu Smyth added a thunderbolt for 2-0 at half-time. Andy Barbour got a deft touch to Mattie Rollin’s assist before Smyth and Dan Crooks completed the win.

In the Irish Hockey Trophy, Rathgar will fly the Leinster flag after they won a shoot-out in Cork, beating Ashton 3-0 after normal time ended 1-1 – Malcolm Coombes and Andy Malcolm scoring the goals.

They will be joined by Waterford – 4-3 winners over UCC – NICS who beat Catholic Institute 5-2 and North Down, 4-2 victors over Portadown.

Irish Senior Cup – Round 3: Belfast Harlequins 0 Cookstown 5 (S Smyth 2, C Anderson, A Barbour, D Crooks); Corinthian 1 (D Howard) Banbridge 3 (J McKee 2, J Moffett); Cork C of I 1 (J Bruton) UCD 1 (D Nolan), Cork C of I win shoot-out 5-4; Kilkeel 2 (N Stevenson, A Graham) YMCA 1 (T Ritchie); Pembroke 7 (C Murphy 2, K O’Hare, T Hill, M Treacy, S Sullivan, P Shanahan) Clontarf 0; Three Rock Rovers 3 (H Morris 2, M English) Annadale 1 (R Capper); Lisnagarvey 8 (D Nelson 2, O Kidd 2, T Cockram, T Chambers, H Morris, A Williamson) Kilkenny 0

Irish Hockey Trophy – Round 2: Ashton 1 (M Coombes) Rathgar 1 (A Malcolm), Rathgar win shoot-out 3-0; NICS 5 Catholic Institute 2 (R Gleeson 2); North Down 4 Portadown 2; Waterford 4 (H McCarthy 2, R Isaacs, T Halob) UCC 3 (E Finnegan, M Horgan, B Stockhil)

Partners of The Hook