Glens salvage point against YM; draw-masters C of I tie with Cookstown

Men’s EY Hockey League – day six round-up

Cork C of I 1 (J Bruton) Cookstown 1 (G Allen)
Draw-masters Cork C of I tied for a third time this season, leaving them in ninth place, two behind Cookstown following a closely fought battle in the rain at Garryduff.

Cookstown were initially content to sit deep and play on the counter but they took full advantage when Jonny Bruton was in the sin-bin on a green card. In his absence, they took the lead via a lovely interchange on the endline with Greg Allen on hand to finish off.

C of I improved markedly from there with Stephen Parker having an effort disallowed while Josh McCabe was called on to save a John Jermyn corner and David Lynch’s follow-up before the end of the first quarter.

French arrival Thomas Chalumeau went just wide before Bruton levelled the game at 1-1. A free outside the circle was played to Chalumeau who found Jermyn. He squared the ball on his reverse to Bruton to net.

Glenanne’s Brad Venter grabbed a key goal for a 3-3 draw. Pic: Adrian Boehm

The hosts continued to have most of the ball with Cookstown looking ready to pounce on the counter. Alec Moffett’s reverse was the pick of the chances in the third quarter. The final period saw a yellow card apiece while Cookstown won two corners while C of I had a shout for a stroke turned down after Alex Burns went down in the circle but nothing accrued, leaving the sides to settle for a point each.

YMCA 3 (J Tobin 2, B Campbell) Glenanne 3 (S O’Connor, G Shaw, B Venter)
Glenanne fought back three times to keep up their unbeaten record, denying YMCA their first win in the men’s EY Hockey League in a high action draw at Wesley College. The Y started off in superb style, Jamie Tobin slotting past James Murtagh – with former YM keeper Iain Walker in the US – after nice play from Ben Campbell down the left hand side.

They had three corner chances, too, in the first quarter but were caught by Glenanne’s first attack of note when Sam O’Connor made a lovely run to the baseline and dinked over Jakim Bernsden.

The hosts got back in front soon after when Daniel Ellison showed great skill and strength as the ball was switched out wide and then slapped into the middle. A first-time touch from Cillian Hynes fell to Campbell who took his time before picking his line to goal and 2-1.

YM held that lead into half-time despite a Glenanne corner and a yellow card for Jonathan Codd. The visitors, however, did get level for a second time soon after the big break from another corner – with reduced numbers for Sam Hyland going too early – a slip move to Gary Shaw who slapped in.

It was end to end with both sides having further chances from the set piece but remained 2-2 into the third break. Tobin gave YM the lead for a third time early in the fourth quarter when Grant Glutz showed some nice skill to set up Aaron Bailey; his shot was saved but Tobin slammed in the rebound.

Glutz almost sealed the win when his sliding deflection hit the crossbar and they had a couple of further chances to go further in front only to be stung by a Glens’ corner, Brad Venter deflecting home with seven minutes left. They looked the more likely to win it after that with another corner and a four on two chance that required a huge Will Powderly tackle to ensure it stayed 3-3.

Partners of The Hook