Bann move clear at top as Glens remain unbeaten

Men’s EY Hockey League – day four round-up
Glenanne 6 (S Boucher 2, G Shaw, B Venter, D Keogh, J Rogan) Pembroke 2 (K O’Hare 2)
Glenanne continued their unbeaten start to the season as they scored the last four goals to pull away from Pembroke at St Andrew’s, making it two wins and two draws to date.

The hosts went ahead from their second corner, Shannon Boucher dragging low. Pembroke replied with a corner of their own two minutes later, a Keith O’Hare low drag. That exchange was repeated before half-time with Boucher and O’Hare scoring one apiece for 2-2 at half-time.

The Glens, though, pulled away in the second half. Johnny McCormack got to the baseline and pulled back for Gary Shaw to first time home. From their fourth corner, Cedric Jakobi’s flick hit a body on the line, leading to a stroke that David Keogh scored.

Eddie O’Malley turned the ball over high and played in Brad Venter and he slapped a rocket from close to the baseline into the top corner over the keeper’s shoulder, his first for the club.

Pembroke dominated the ball in the closing quarter with Glenanne trying to hit them on the counter. They did so with a lovely sixth, a break finding Gavin Gibney at the top of the D alone and he waited for Jay Rogan to arrive, drew the keeper then slipped it left where the former Skerries man finished into the empty goal.

Banbridge 2 (J McKee, D Rae) YMCA 1 (G Glutz)
Banbridge won a battle loaded with penalty strokes to remain top of the table with YMCA left frustrated as they remain bottom despite putting it up to the Co Down side.

Johnny McKee opened the scoring from the spot in the first quarter in the lashing rain and they remained with the narrow lead into the half-time break. They bossed the possession stakes but found it tough to break through the compact YM defence with Jakim Bernsden keeping out Josh Moffett and Fraser Mills.

Mills was fouled for a second stroke but McKee did not catch his effort and Bernstein saved. Within a minute, YM had a stroke of their own but this time, Luke Roleston was the man to save it.

Bann strengthened their position when Eugene Magee showed great strength to set up David Rae at the back post to knock home. Grant Glutz got one back for YM in the last 10 minutes from a spectacular flick. In a fractured endgame, both sides ended with 10 players but Bann stayed ahead for their third win from four games.

Three Rock Rovers 4 (L Madeley, C Empey, M Darling, M English) Lisnagarvey 1 (M Nelson)
Three Rock Rovers returned from their Euro Hockey League exploits full of confidence to beat Lisnagarvey 4-1 with something to spare at Grange Road. Garvey did have the first big chance when Matthew Nelson robbed the last defender and seemed to have worked a clear sight of goal but fired over the bar.

Three Rock Rovers’ Jack McAllister gets by Lisnagarvey’s Matthew Nelson and Harry Morris. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Rovers started to control the play after that and they went ahead from their second corner with Luke Madeley shooting home. It was 2-0 on the half-hour when Conor Empey whipped in another corner and, but for a couple of top James Milliken saves, it might have been more comfortable.

Ten minutes into the second half, it was 3-0 from the move of the game. Two drop-off passes on the right wing were quickly transferred to the left where Ben Walker slapped into the circle. Mitch Darling, who started the move, deflected the bouncing ball home.

Garvey did have a strong last ten minutes with Peter McKibbin’s run only denied by Kevin Mullins clearing off the line while Nelson scored with two minutes to go. Mark English, though, replied a minute later with a first time reverse to Jody Hosking’s slipped pass.

Monkstown 6 (D Carson 3, G Sarratt, R Quirke, R Nichols) Cookstown 1 (J Haycock)
Davy Carson’s hat-trick helped Monkstown record their second win of the season, cutting loose against Cookstown in the second half. After a scoreless first quarter, the Dubliners took the lead in the 23rd minute from a corner won by Ross Quirke which Rory Nichols dragged into the bottom corner.

Cookstown replied quickly from a set piece with Jack Haycock scoring for the second week running on the rebound. They only stayed level for four minutes as Carson gobbled up another rebound for 2-1 at half-time.

The Rathdown hosts moved further ahead from yet another penalty corner in the 44th minute, won by Kyle Good who combined with Guy Sarratt to roof a flick. The fourth came before the end of the third quarter when Carson’s shot was touched in by Quirke. Carson added two more in the closing quarter to complete a confident win.

Cork C of I vs Annadale – postponed
Cork C of I’s game with Annadale was cancelled on account of the weather, the decision made late on Thursday evening to pull the plug based on weather-based fears.

Partners of The Hook