Wesley end Senior League season on a High

Wesley College’s seniors ended their schoolboys season on a high as they landed the league title with a 5-0 win over High School in the final at Newpark.

It was a far cry from the 4-1 defeat in the Senior Cup semi-finals to the same opposition and they went out to prove a point. It meant Wesley finally got their hands on a trophy after runners-up spots in both the All-Ireland Schools and the Whiteside Trophy.

Wesley College’s Senior League winning side

A nervy start by both teams was broken by a Hugo Burns aerial into the circle from just outside the High School 25. It fell kindly for Ross Henderson to pick up who then passed it to Gavin Quill who had the simplest of tap ins to make it 1-0.

After sustained pressure, with Sam Ryder key at the back in spraying passes around, Wesley won a corner off a right hand circle entry. With a variation off the top, Ben O’Grady slotted his flick bottom right, the High School keeper Ben Cripps getting a glove to it but not quite enough to keep out the chance.

Henderson broke down the line after some smart play involving Iain Patterson and Rob McCollum who then passed to Quill whose initial shot was saved and the rebound fell kindly to Quill who took it calmly on the reverse and hit it home for 3-0.

A few High School chances followed for Peter Lynch and Ali Empey with the best of the bunch falling to a back post tap in which went inches wide, leaving three in it at the break.

After the break, a few minutes of possession in the Wesley half resulted in a battery of High School corners where Quill and goalkeeper Euan Mackay did well to keep the Rathgar side at bay.

The pressure was lifted when a break away including passes between Josh Greaney and Quill resulted with a shot saved then popped out to O’Grady who picked his spot to make the score beyond reach at 4-0.

And the win was complete when Cameron Ruttle stormed onto the end of Rob McColumm pass down the line to give a backhand across to the circle. It was trapped and reverse-swept home into the top corner by Henderson.

St Andrew’s U-14 John Waring Cup winners

For High School, they have a third final of the season on Friday when they meet Newpark in the Senior Trophy when they will look to end a productive season – in which they have beaten both Andrew’s and Wesley – in style.

In the South East Cup final, Kilkenny College beat Newtown on strokes to take home that crown.

At Lisnagarvey, St Andrew’s were the Under-14 John Waring All-Ireland champions. They started off with a 0-0 draw against both St Kilian’s and Campbell College before beating Bandon 2-0 and Midleton 2-0.

It left them needing a win over Wallace to claim overall victory and they did so via a Dan Wann hat trick plus goals from Ethan Sutton and Nick Power Smith as captain Callum Hewat led from the back.

In the girls finals played on Wednesday, Charlotte Stapleton scored twice as Wesley won the Junior Plate 2-0 against the Teresian School.

Muckross Park won the Minor Premier final with a shoot-out win against Loreto Foxrock.

Senior League final: Wesley 5 (G Quill 2, B O’Grady 2, R Henderson) High School 0

John Waring Cup standings: 1. St Andrew’s 11pts (+9) 2. Midleton 8pts (0) 3. Campbell College 7pts (-1) 4. St Kilians 6pts (+2) 5. Bandon 4pts (-5) 6. Wallace HS 3pts (-7)

Junior Plate Final: Wesley 2 (C Stapleton 2) Teresian School 0
Minor Premier Final: Muckross beat Loreto Foxrock on shoot-out

Partners of The Hook