YM’s revenge served cold as frost puts paid to guts of ISC ties; Pembroke and TRR shine in EYHL

YMCA got a revenge served cold over Annadale on a frosty weekend in the Irish Senior Cup with just three of the eight ties on the agenda going ahead across the island.

The Y’s trip north was one of the few to beat the weather and they managed to get one over on the side that ended their hopes of reaching the EYHL in the spring with a last minute winner.

This time around at Strathearn, there was plenty of twists and turns in the final few minutes with the Dubliners eventually taking the quarter-final slot.

The first half ended scoreless amid a midfield battle. Sam Hyland broke the deadlock with five minutes left to go with a bit of magic in the circle but Rhiley Carr equalised three minutes later from the penalty spot for 1-1.

It sent the tie to a shoot-out. Jakim Bernsden and Nick Holman both saved in the first round with the former keeping out the next two efforts while YM scored their next three for a 3-0 advantage.

Monkstown were another EYHL side who found the going tough against Leinster league opposition but did manage to score their sixth penalty corner with 13 minutes to go via David Cole for a 1-0 win over UCD.

Cork C of I advanced with a 7-2 win over Kilkeel in Garryduff with Julian Dale in inspired form. Corner goals from John Jermyn and Dale made it 2-0 before the latter got the third from a counter.

Mark Stevenson got one back from a penalty stroke but Dale completed his hat trick before half-time to make it 4-1. Jermyn stretched the lead further from the penalty spot before Dale got the sixth goal. Philip Sweetnam scored from play to close out their tally before Eddie Agnew got a late consolation.

Monkstown’s Guy Sarratt holds off Calum Morrow. Pic: Adrian Boehm

Otherwise, the other five games on the card were all cancelled due to the freezing conditions, the same factor that ruled out Avoca’s league tie with Weston. Clontarf did get their game in against Dublin North, Max Harris and Robert Forrest scoring in a 2-0 win.

Dublin University joined UCD in the semi-finals of the Neville Cup courtesy of a strokes win against Corinthian after Cillian Hynes and Dan Treacy doubles shared a 2-2 draw.

Sunday: Men’s EY Hockey League
Pembroke 5 (A Sothern 3, R Sweetnam, J Ryan) Railway Union 2 (M English, S McKeever)
Another Alan Sothern hat trick strengthened Pembroke’s place in the top four as they won the Dublin 4 derby 5-2, putting five points between Pembroke and fifth placed Monkstown.

Sothern and Mark English exchanged penalty strokes in the first quarter before Richard Sweetnam put Pembroke in front from a corner switch move. Sothern added two more corners to make it 4-1 at half-time.

The third quarter was end to end with Railway ekeing out a couple of corners while Stephen O’Keeffe brilliantly denied Sothern a fourth goal. Simon McKeever’s deflection off the back of a long corner reduced the deficit against his former club but the result was put to bed when Kirk Shimmins attacked down the right, leading to Jack Ryan’s reverse-volley.

Three Rock Rovers 6 (B Walker 2, P Blakeney, C Empey, L Madeley, J Mullins) Cork C of I 0
Three Rock Rovers made it four wins in succession in the men’s EYHL as they eventually ran up a deceptively comfortable looking 6-0 win over Cork C of I whose weariness at the end of a double-weekend showed late in the day.

Rovers started in sprightly fashion, fresher due to a cancelled ISC tie on Saturday, scoring within a minute when Harry MacMahon’s cross got a perfect touch running across the circle from Peter Blakeney. John Mullins made it 2-0 from a corner in the ninth minute.

C of I largely had most of the ball for the next 40 minutes, looking threatening without fully finding the final pass. Julian Dale did produce some outstanding pieces of skill, once clipping the cross bar from a tight spot, the other time winning a corner. Jamie Carr blocked John Jermyn’s drag flick while a second corner in the second half was miscued by Dale.

And while Cork could not make use of their attacks, Rovers extended their lead via some very sharp reactions from Ben Walker to catch a rebound and volley in with 17 minutes left. Walker tapped home the next, again from a clever MacMahon pass to start the move; Conor Empey finished off the fifth from a Jody Hosking pass and Luke Madeley’s low drag concluded four goals in quick succession.

Men’s results
Irish Senior Cup, second round: Annadale 1 (R Carr) YMCA 1 (S Hyland), YMCA win shoot-out 3-0; Cork C of I 7 (J Dale 4, J Jermyn 2, P Sweetnam) Kilkeel 2 (M Stevenson, E Agnew); Monkstown 1 (D Cole) UCD 0
Postponed due to frost: Lisnagarvey v Railway Union; Queens v Glenanne; Three Rock Rovers v Cookstown; South Antrim v Pembroke; Mossley v Belfast Harlequins

Neville Cup, quarter-final: Dublin University 2 (C Hynes 2) Corinthian 2 (D Treacy 2), Dublin University win on strokes

EY Hockey League (Sunday): Pembroke 5 (A Sothern 3, R Sweetnam, J Ryan) Railway Union 2 (M English S McKeever); Three Rock Rovers 6 (B Walker 2, P Blakenety, C Empey, L Madeley, J Mullins) Cork C of I 0

Leinster Division One: Clontarf 2 (M Harris, R Forrest) Dublin North 0
Postponed: Avoca v Weston

Partners of The Hook