Glens and Rovers on top while honours even in Cork and Monkstown

Men’s EY Hockey League – day two round-up
Saturday: Glenanne 3 (S O’Donoghue, C Kennedy, G Shaw) Cookstown 2 (G Allen, S Smyth)
Glenanne recorded their second win of the campaign as they held off Cookstown at their new St Andrew’s home to record a 3-2 win, adding to last week’s win over Cork C of I.

Shane O’Donoghue started the Glens’ scoring in the first quarter with a straight drag-flick after Gary Shaw had won a corner. Clive Kennedy got the second from a knee-high crash ball into the circle, deflecting it through his legs and home for 2-0.

Gary Shaw taps in Glenanne’s third goal. Pic: Sinead Hingston

They held that advantage until the break due to some Stephen Bronwlow heroics from a defensive corner. James Murtagh then saved at point-blank range in the second half while Richard Couse went close at the far end.

They held that two-goal advantage until seven minutes from time when Stu Smyth dragged home his second of the season. Glenanne made the game safer quickly when Kennedy and Richie Shaw did some nice baseline work which Gary Shaw tapped in.

Cookstown snatched another one back when Greg Allen profited from a defensive error but there was not enough time left to summon another chance and Glenanne held on for their win.

Sunday: Cork C of I 4 (J Dale 2, T Brophy, S Parker) Annadale 4 (R Carr 2, O McElhinney, J Taylor)
Owen McElhinney’s last minute goal earned Annadale a share of the points at Garryduff as Cork C of I were left to rue a late concession once again, letting slip a 3-1 lead against the newly promoted side.

Tony Brophy had opened the scoring with the only goal of the first quarter as C of I made a good start. Julian Dale was causing plenty of problems while Peter Caruth did likewise at the far end, drawing the best from Billy Lynch.

Julian Dale celebrate making it 4-3 for Cork C of I. Pic: Graham Catchpole

Stephen Parker made it 2-0 with a shot into an open goal following a good run from Dale but the Ulster side kept themselves in the mix three minutes before the break from a Rhiley Carr drag-flick.
Dale restored the two-goal gap early in the second half with a run along the baseline that snuck under Johnny Moore for 3-1.

Annadale, though, kept battling and were back in range when Carr saw his corner just about clear the line. They subsequently equalised with eight minutes to go via John Taylor
C of I, though, thought they had a winner with four minutes to go when John Jermyn launched an overhead that Dale ran onto to smash home – a trademark Garryduff move.

But Annadale withdrew their keeper and got their late reward to crown a cracking match, McElhinney levelling at 4-4 in the 68th minute.

Railway Union 0 Three Rock Rovers 4 (M Darling 2, R Pautz, P Blakeney)
Three Rock Rovers made it two big wins from two to sit top of the early season table alongside Glenanne as they ran up a three first half goals at Park Avenue to power their victory.

Mitch Darling started the run when he latched onto a loose ball in front of Stephen O’Keeffe and slapped in. Peter Blakeney added a second goal from a penalty corner, taking over the duties from the injured Luke Madeley and, within a minute, Richard Pautz scored his fifth goal in two minutes when Rovers worked the ball to the corner injector.

He flicked high into the roof of the net for 3-0 at the break. Railway kept the Rathfarnham side scoreless in the third quarter but indiscipline caught them in the closing period when they were reduced to nine players. Darling calmly finished off number four to close out the victory.

Monkstown 2 (G Sarratt, D Carson) Pembroke 2 (A Sothern 2)
Davy Carson skidded in for an equaliser with ten minutes to go, ensuring it was honours even at the Merrion Fleet Arena in a ding-dong Dublin derby. In a lively opening phase, Pembroke hit the post before a foot on the goal-line gave Guy Sarratt the chance to open the deadlock on seven minutes from a penalty stroke.

Town looked good in the second quarter and had the chances to make it more as Karl Smyth’s driving runs and fine work from Matteo Romoli went close to yielding a second goal.

Pembroke, though, fought back strongly in the second half and got level when Alan Sothern buried a corner – his third goal of the campaign. And he was soon at it again, scoring a stroke in the 49th minute from a corner shot that hit a thigh on the line.

It put them 2-1 ahead but Pembroke were caught early in the final quarter despite having an extra man. A flowing move found its way to Aaron Bailey who crossed into Carson on the dive for 2-2. It led to a helter-skelter finish with Town having a couple of corner chances but Pembroke kept them out to make it four points from six while Monkstown sit on one.

Partners of The Hook