Bruton hat trick lands Rovers’ automatic IHL place

Men’s Leinster Division One
YMCA 1 (B Campbell) Three Rock Rovers 4 (J Bruton 3, L Madeley)

Jonny Bruton’s hat trick against his former club helped Three Rock Rovers claim the fourth and final automatic Irish Hockey League place from Leinster as they saw off YMCA 4-1 in Milltown. After a couple of watering issues, the tie burst into life early on as Bruton deflected in Luke Madeley’s crash ball from the right.

Three Rock Rovers' Jonny Bruton Pic: Adrian Boehm

Three Rock Rovers’ Jonny Bruton Pic: Adrian Boehm

Ben Campbell equalised almost immediately when a ball into the D deflected his way and his shot deceived Stephen West. Bruton, though, made it 2-1 inside the first 15 minutes of a lively opening.

Both sides had their chances with David Kane doing well to charge down a drag-flick while West kept out another corner. Iain Walker, meanwhile, made a couple of spectacular stops, one from Jonny McCormack with his head.

Rovers stepped it up in the second half and got an insurance goal when a corner move went awry but backer-up Ali Haughton worked the ball to Daragh Walsh on the baseline who picked out Bruton for his third.

Madeley then made it 4-1 as YM pressed, breaking down the left and, after beating a couple of players, slapped into the far corner to confirm their IHL place, leaving YMCA in sixth place.

Rathgar 0 Railway Union 5 (M English 2, K Carroll, J Dick, F Keaveney)
Railway Union nailed down the IHL wildcard playoff place with a 5-0 win over Rathgar but they did not get the favour they required to earn an automatic spot. Kenny Carroll’s corner goal was the only goal to break through a deep-lying Chiefs’ defence.

James Dick added a corner rebound before Fergal Keaveney deflected in following a high turnover. Mark English’s corner was then capped by probably Railway’s best goal, English walking the ball in after a passing move through about six different sticks.

Glenanne 3 (S O’Connor, S Brownlow, C Kennedy) Corinthian 1 (D Treacy)
Glenanne finished second in Leinster’s division one, six points off Monkstown, with a 3-1 win over Corinthian to give them the psychological edge going into their Mills Cup final with the reds next week.

Sam O’Connor and Stephen Brownlow scored in the first half for a 2-0 lead and Clive Kennedy extended the margin out to three early in the second half. Corinthian improved thereafter and Dan Treacy got a good solo goal, driving into the circle and shooting home low to the right.

Pembroke 2 (M Elliott, J Sherriff) Monkstown 2 (D Carson, D Cole)
Monkstown closed out their season with a 2-2 draw against Pembroke to end the season six points clear of the pack with the Dublin 4 side ending up in fourth place. Maurice Elliott’s rebound had Pembroke 1-0 up but Davy Carson tied things up on his reverse after tackling his way to a shooting opening. David Cole then scored a drag-flick for 2-1, stepping in for Richard Sykes, with seven minutes to go.

Justin Sherriff, though, levelled the tie with a hotly disputed effort for 2-2 with two Monkstown players receiving yellow cards in the aftermath.

UCD 3 (J Duncan, D McClure, D O’Malley) Avoca 2 (J Byrnes, R Couse)
David O’Malley’s late winner saw UCD retain eighth place in division one and see them clear of Rathgar and Avoca at the bottom. Inside 11 minutes, Jeremy Duncan and David McClure had given the students a 2-0 lead.

Avoca replied via a Johnny Byrnes rebound after Andrew Ramsay’s initial shot. UCD missed a penalty stroke, though, keeping the scoreline at 2-1 going into the break, Sebastian Perciavalle making the save.

Richard Couse tied things up at 2-2 four minutes into the second half but they could not get any further goals as Sliabh Wells – standing in for Conor Quinn – made a string of good saves. O’Malley, meanwhile, popped up with the killer goal with nine minutes to go to earn UCD their third win of the season.

Men's Leinster Senior Div 1