Town show mettle to see off Fingal

Men’s Leinster Division One:
Fingal 1 (C Neville) Monkstown 3 (N Dee, K Good, D Carson)

Monkstown landed their second win from two outings as they saw off Fingal at ALSAA, showing their mettle in the face of a powerful defensive performance. Nick Dee scrambled home the first inside five minutes before Kyle Good added a second from a broken down penalty corner which was stopped open side.

Town had a majority of possession and were finding the corners easy to come by but harder to convert. It allowed Fingal to get right back in the mix when Chris Neville rebounded a corner for 2-1 and they threatened some wholescale larceny for a while. But Good and Davy Carson combined brilliantly for their side’s third goal from a flowing counter-attack move.

For the Fingallians, they look forward to a big date against YMCA next Saturday in a tie where the venue has been swapped to ALSAA.

Railway skipper Rob Abbott netted twice in his side's win over YMCA Pic: Adrian Boehm

Railway skipper Rob Abbott netted twice in his sides’ win over YMCA Pic: Adrian Boehm

Glenanne 1 (R Rixon-Fuller) Pembroke 3 (S McKeever, A Sothern, M O’Connor)
A three-goal first half blitz put Pembroke on course for their second win of the season, doing enough before the break to keep a strong Glenanne second half performance in check.

Simon McKeever’s first goal in purple allied to efforts from Alan Sothern and Mick O’Connor built that lead and while they struggled to find the same rhythm after the interval, they only conceded once via Rowland Rixon-Fuller.

Railway Union 4 (R Abbott 2, M English, P English) YMCA 1 (R Pedreschi)
Rob Abbott’s double led Railway Union to a comfortable victory over YMCA who are still awaiting their first points of the campaign. Indeed, Railway keeper Simon Thornton went through the first half without being called into action as the hosts ran the show, building a 2-0 lead. Mark English’s dainty sweep shot following an exchange of passes with Richie Forrest put them ahead, choosing the spectacular when he also had the option to square.

Abbott doubled up when he pounced on a rebound from Jake Morton’s initial shot. YM improved in the second period with Jaco Fourie to the fore, aided by a green card to Donal O’Mearain and a yellow for Thomas Brits but could not find the chances to get back into the game. Abbott made it 3-0 from Dave McCarthy’s cross while Peter English hit home another from a corner. Jamie Tobin’s cross was turned in by Richie Pedreschi in the closing minutes.

Rathgar 1 (G Sharman) Corinthian 4 (I Stewart, M Fairweather, N Young, A Sutton)
Corinthian landed their first win of the season with a comfortable victory over the Chiefs at High School, building a four-goal lead before the hosts got a late one back. Matt Fairweather started the run with a drag from a penalty corner before Ian Stewart fired home a reverse-stick effort.

Neil Young netted from another corner for 3-0 in the first half and Andrew Sutton completed the reds tally before Gary Sharman got a goal after the final whistle for Rathgar. It leaves them without a point from three games while Corinthian move into the top five with their first three-pointer.

Three Rock Rovers 2 (J Bruton, A Haughton) UCD 1 (N Burns)
Three Rock continued their perfect start to the Leinster league season as they came from a goal down to defeat UCD in an up-tempo affair at Grange Road. Nick Burns escaped his marker at the back post to guide home a left wing cross to make it 1-0 to the students who probably shaded the first half but ended up behind at the break.

Jonny Bruton levelled with a superb finish from close to the baseline after a strong run into the circle. Ali Haughton then completed the scoring before half-time with another stylish finish.

The second half was lively throughout with both Conor Quinn and Stephen West in good form but Rovers looked the more comfortable side as they pressed the outletting of Peter Purcell and Conor Motyer into midfield to limit the supply of ball into UCD’s key men.

Men's Leinster Senior Div 1