According to this morning’s Examiner – and subsequently on Southern Fried – the U-21 interprovincial tournament is set to be scrapped for the coming season.
IHA chief executive Angus Kirkland this week informed branch representatives that one men’s and one women’s interpro competition will be held on March 26 and 27.
All players over the age of 18 will be eligible for selection, effectively meaning the senior and U-21 events have been amalgamated.
The decision follows a consultation process between the interpro working group, which was comprised of national and provincial branch representatives, and national coaches Paul Revington and Gene Muller.
The IHA’s high performance working group has also been tasked with finding a fourth team to compete in the men’s event. The identity of a fourth side has yet to be confirmed, but candidates could include the Irish U-18 side or a foreign club/representative/invitational outfit.
Initial discussions had pointed towards the formation of a new U-23 tournament to replace the senior and U-21 formats but, in a letter circulated to the interpro working group, Kirkland outlined the decision taken following an IHA board meeting on Sunday.
“I am sure you will appreciate that this has been debated long and hard by the interpro working group, national coaches and the board, and with the varying views around the groups arriving at a solution that suits everyone just has not been possible – however having taken into accounts all viewpoints the board believe this to be the best way forward for this season,” Kirkland wrote.
Revington and Muller will determine the availability of international players for selection.
4 Responses to “U-21 Interprovincials to be scrapped”
September 4, 2010 1:28 pm owen says
With the merger of Malahide and Fingal does this mean that all the mens games will be played on the Malahide pitch or is it just the ladies clubs that are merging?
September 4, 2010 11:16 pm eggz_eleven says
This could really slow down players development. People seem to stick in the Senior sides for AGES, so at what stage do the players that were u18s get the chance to represent their province again?
September 5, 2010 4:12 pm fiona says
Will the Junior Interpro Tournament be still taking place this year?
Launched in August 2007, The Hook has set out to provide news and information for hockey in Leinster. The site has developed since then to cover all levels of the sport in Ireland and beyond, providing stories on schools, club, interprovincial and international. Working in tandem with the superb Irish Hockey Photographers, The Hook aims to offer the best coverage of the sport in the province. Should you have any queries or suggestions, please email founder, Stephen Findlater, at firstname.lastname@example.org.