Monks and Glens to contest all-Leinster affair

Men’s Irish Senior Cup semi-finals:
Monkstown and Glenanne will make it an All-Leinster Irish Senior Cup final after they got the better of Annadale and Three Rock Rovers, respectively, this afternoon.

Indeed, the Town remain on course for an incredible Senior and Junior double after they produced yet another of their now trademark wins, Andrew Ward the hero for the second week running with the final touch to beat their Belfast opponents on golden goal.

Annadale had started the stronger in their tie, looking strong on the break and forced a double corner early on which Neil Hamilton netted low at the second attempt.

But after the quarter hour, Jonny Moore became the busier keeper, pulling off a pair of saves before Ward levelled the tie at the break.

The second half continued to be very even with chances at both ends. Dave Fitzgerald made a string of saves in the first quater of the second half before the Rathdown hosts swung the momentum toward Moore’s goal.

Hamilton dragged home from Annadale’s only corner of the second period to restore the lead with just seven minutes remaining but Monkstown’s soaring self-belief in tight clinches saw Ian Allen snatch an equaliser with just two minutes left.

Into extra-time, Eoin O’Connor charged down a corner before Andy Ewington rattled the crossbar with a drag-flick of his own.

But with strokes becoming a real possibility, a lightning break incorporating eight passes eventually found Ward to get a touch at the back post to spark the celebrations.

The Glens win at Grange Road – their third this term – was more routine, running up a 2-0 win with a goal in each half.

Gary Shaw struck in the eighth minute to set the ball rolling after Joe Brennan’s long overhead found the returning Graham Shaw to square for his cousin to score.

Steven Doran had to be alert to keep out Rovers, notably with a fine triple save before the break and they carried the fight in the second period, bossing the third quarter of the game.

They failed to capitalise, though, and Stephen Butler took his chance with a corner drag-flick with 13 minutes gone in the second half to seal their passage and keep hopes alive of a third ISC title. The Glens closed out the game in the ascendancy drawing fine saves from Stephen West while Butler and Garry Ringwood both served yellow card suspensions for bad tackles.

Men’s Irish Senior Cup Semi-finals
Monkstown 3 (A Ward 2, I Allen) Annadale 2 (I Hamilton 2) a.e.t.-Monkstown won with Golden Goal; Three Rock Rovers 0 Glenanne 2 (Gary Shaw, S Butler)

* For more of Adrian Boehm’s photos from the Monkstown vs Annadale ISC semi-final, click here. Emer Keogh’s photos from the Three Rock vs Glenanne game, meanwhile, are here

** Elsewhere, Cork C of I’s men completed the Munster treble with an 11-0 win over Catholic Institute to win the Peard Cup.

On the women’s side, Cork Harlequins will have to face a play-off for a second year running to retain their league crown for a 15th year after they tied 2-2 with Catholic Institute on the final day of the regular season. As last year, they now face UCC in a straight playoff for the title.

Institute qualify for the wildcard playoffs ahead of Cork C of I as a result and will face Old Alex in mid-May.

Partners of The Hook