Stalemate keeps UCD and Tarf tied bottom

Leinster Division One
UCD 3 (John McInroy, Ronan Flannery, Ben Grogan) Clontarf 3 (Tom Noonan, Luke Hayden, Richie Forrest)
Richie Forrest’s (pictured, right) first goal of the season stole a point for Clontarf at the death but, in truth, a draw does little for either side’s aspirations of escaping the bottom tier of division one. UCD were left to rue a glut of missed chances in the second half as they dominated for long periods but the Bull’s goal led a charmed life.

Early on, the students took the lead via John McInroy’s deflection at corner time but strikes from Tom Noonan and Luke Hayden swapped the lead. The former Skerries man latched on to Forrest’s superb 40-metre pass from right-back for the leveller before Hayden scrambled in from a tight angle for a 2-1 half-time lead. Ronan Flannery’s slapped corner made it 2-2, after Rob Abbott was yellow-carded for breaking the line, and Ben Grogan’s drag returned the lead to the Belfielders. But they failed to extend the advantage in spite of numerous opportunities and Forrest snuck in to score from a fluffed short corner.

* A post-match incident could be subject to an appeal/inquiry and so, in order to not jeopardise any potential case, no comments will be entertained on this matter.

Monkstown 1 (Andy Ewington) Fingal 0
Andy Ewington’s corner goal was the high point of a surprisingly flat game at Rathdown as Monkstown got their defence in order to record a first clean-sheet of the league season. It came midway through the second half during the Town’s best spell. Ewington worked a superb switch right and back into the centre for a close-range drag-flick. It made up for Gareth Watkins’ stroke after Lloyd Pearson was struck on the body on the goal-line. But the star striker was unable to beat Nigel Grothier to leave it 0-0 at half-time. Dave Fitzgerald was belatedly brought into the action by David Bane on two occasions but, otherwise, was not overly employed.

YMCA 1 (Cliff Bailey) TRR 1 (Patrick Shanahan)
YM and Three Rock shared the points at Alexandra College this afternoon as Cliff Bailey’s crisp strike made it three league draws in a row between these sides. Rovers enjoyed the best of the first half but saw stand-in goalkeeper Graeme Woods producing a string of top saves in a rare call-up to division one action in light of Iain Walker’s international commitments. The one that got away fell to the impressive Patrick Shanahan who rebounded Sven Galjaardt’s drag-flick. But YM started the second half in rude health and got the equaliser from a good right-wing move, finding Bailey on the circle’s edge to find the bottom left of Stephen West’s goal.

Men’s Irish Hockey Trophy
Weston survived a whole host of sin-binnings and a red card to eventually beat Armagh 4-2 in the one Irish Hockey Trophy tie involving a Leinster side. Former Glenanne-man Enda Tucker scored twice while Phil Barron and Shane O’Hare were also on target in the win and they will now face Galway at home on November 21 in the last 16.

Men's Leinster Senior Div 1