With the new school year beginning, the revamped senior girl’s Premier League tips off this week with eight games on show.
As announced on The Hook in June, the League has changed format radically, from four pools of four teams to two pools of nine teams.
The aim is for players to experience a genuine ‘league campaign’, with all the fluctuations that entails and lead to an exciting race for semi-finals hotting up around Christmas time – the two teams qualify from each section.
The groups were compiled using a seeding system based on last years performances, and the two newcomers to this level, Sutton Park and Mount Temple, were drawn into different sections. Many eyes will be focused upon last year’s winners, Alexandra College.
St Andrew’s will also be keenly followed as winners of both last year’s Senior Cup and Junior League. Mount Anville, winners of the Junior Cup last season, will be hopeful that squad is able to translate that success to Senior level.
* Weekly updates will be posted on the site, along with league tables, top-scorers chart, and clean-sheet lists.
Week 1 fixtures (to be played by September 12)
Section A: Mount Temple v Our Lady’s Terenure; Loreto, Dalkey v St Andrews College; Mount Sackville v Rathdown; Wesley College v Muckross Park
Section B: Loreto, Foxrock v St. Gerards; Holy Child, Killiney v The High School; Loreto, Beaufort v Sutton Park; The Kings Hospital v Mount Anville
• Two pools of 9 teams play each school once
• Top two qualify for semi-finals (Wednesday, February 3, 2010)
• Final to be played on Thursday, February 11, 2010
• Seedings for 2010/2011 season will be based on final league position in this year’s competition