Ulster claim men’s Interprovincials

Munster 5 (John Jermyn 3, Nigel Buttimer, David Hobbs) Ulster 5 (Peter Caruth 2, Chris Cargo, Jonny Quigley, Mark Gleghorne)
Ulster went into the final game of the men’s interpros with all the aces following their 3-1 second-half conquering of Leinster. It meant they could afford to lose by a single-goal margin and still win back the Leinster Regiment Cup.

They were given a severe fright, though, by a John Jermyn-inspired Munster who three the kitchen sink at Ulster – who rested Saturday heroes Eugene Magee and Timmy Cockram – in their efforts to grab an unlikely victory.

Jermyn opened the scoring with first of ten goals in the fifth minute, flicking high to the top left corner. Bruce McCandless’ effort was blocked by Mark Ruddle soon after but Chris Cargo bagged the rebound – the converted defender reveling in his forward role for his second in two games after a late call-up.

But two Munster goals in 30 seconds had a famous upset on the cards. Conor Harte’s crash ball found it’s way into veteran Nigel Buttimer’s path and he duly netted and Gareth Lennox could only get have a touch to Jermyn’s reverse for the ball to dribble over the line for 3-1.

Ulster, though, were not finished yet and managed to end a cracking first half on level terms. Colin Donaldson played in Jonny Quigley for 2-3 and Mark Gleghorne found room to play in Peter Caruth and the sides went in at the break all-square – advantage Ulster.

After the scorers were given a brief respite, Munster hit the front for the third time twenty minutes into the second period when David Hobbs finished tidily after a series of short corners.

Gleghorne’s low drag made it even yet again in the 60th minute before Jason Lynch (pictured, right) was sin-binned against his old colleagues for a stick tackle, followed by preventing a quick-free by knocking the ball away.

During his absence, Quigley found Caruth to give Ulster their first lead in the 65th minute and look certainties to take the competition. Quigley then replaced Lynch in the sin-bin as Munster piled on the pressure. The offence led to a free-in upgraded to a corner.

Conor Harte ballooned one effort over the bar and another corner ensued which Jermyn ripped into the net to tie up as lively game as your likely to see at 5-5.

Final Standings (points/goal difference):
1. Ulster 4pts (+2) 2. Leinster 3pts (0) 3. Munster 1pt (-2)

* For more of Eoin Tyrell’s pictures from this weekend’s Interprovincials, click here

Partners of The Hook